Saturday, November 22, 2008

Lan Zhou La Mian at Smith Street


Shopping malls housed la mian restaurants may not serve the best la mian and xiao long bao after all.
I headed down to Smith Street Chinatown on a weekend to try out one of its famous la mian restaurant; Lan Zhou La Mian. There, I was greeted by a sweet chinese lady. Who was apparently wife of the boss. =)) To all F&B bosses out there, courtesy counts a great deal. So, smile to your customers.
This restaurant was pretty tiny. It hold less then 10 tables inside. However, it was air-conditioned, clean and comfortable. A little counter showcasing an experience chef preparing la mian was in view right in front of the kitchen entrance.
The store's most popular la mian was minced meat la mian or zha jiang mian which cost below SGD 5. Sorry, I was too hungry till I had forgotten to take a snap before tucking in.
I absolutely love its xiao long bao as well. The thickness of the skin was just nice and the meat in it was so juicy and tender.
The best way to end a la mian meal was of course by ordering my favourite pastry, the deep-fried pancake. Generally, I will prefer lotus paste filled pancake. Unfortunately, this store only serves red bean paste pancake, which turned out to be equally good! Warm red bean paste enclosed in hot crispy pastry skin coated with fragrant sesame seeds and sugar. Totally fabulous.

4 comments:

Ladybird said...

sigh...i haven't eaten xiao long bau before...sob sob..

Leewah Koh said...

Come and visit me. I will give you a big treat. ;))

Jaina said...

lee wah..You have changed your blog url...

sorry that I may have think too much, the restaurant name is kind of obscene if pronounce as cantonese...hahaha...

anyway, i love xiao long bao too...

Leewah Koh said...

Wahahahaha....Alamak Pek Mun!!!! I know how it will sound in canto. I can imagine it. Wahahahahaha